Am I allowed to work?

Yes, you are allowed to work if you have a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) giving you protection in Germany (for 1 or 3 years). If you need more information about residence permits, check our article here.

If you don’t have a residence permit, then you have to check on your green identity card (Ausweis) in the middle of the back. If there is mentionned “Erwerbstätigkeit gestattet”, then you are allowed to work (at the earliest after 3 months). If you are unsure, ask your social service for help.

Please note: Refugees from countries which are considered “safe” by the Migration Office (BAMF) are not allowed to work. You can find the list here.