Can I be transferred to my wife / husband?

If you live as a refugee in Germany and want to be transferred to your wife’s or husband’s refugee accommodation in Germany, the government requires following documents:

  • An official marriage certificate (a traditional marriage is not recognised by the authorities)


  • Vaterschaft (recognition of paternity) and Sorgerechtserklärung (custody declaration) in case you are a man and have a child living with your wife. Click here for the article how to do Vaterschaft.

Please note: The social service has no power to transfer anyone anywhere and can only make a transfer request to the government (if the conditions mentioned above are met). Even if a transfer request has been sent out, there is no guarantee for approval by the government.