I want a divorce

If you have a marriage crisis and you think about separation or divorce, you can call Familiennotruf (Family Emergency Number) to talk about it and get advice: 089 – 23 88 56-6. For their website, click here.

Before getting officially divorced, you have to go through a so-called Trennungsjahr (a year of separation): it means you can not get divorced until you have lived separately from your spouse for an entire year. There are exceptions to this general rule – therefore it is important to get a professional advice from lawyers. This kind of help is available to you at Familienberatungsstelle (Family Counseling) like at the organisation Pro Familia.

Please note: There might be some advising costs. Make sure to ask when making an appointment.