Can I make Vaterschaft?

If you are the father of a child and not married to the child’s mother, you can recognize the Vaterschaft (Paternity) before and after the child’s birth. The approval of the mother is always required by the authorities.

The Vaterschaft must be publicly authenticated by the Standesamt (Civil Registry Office) or Jugendamt (Youth Office). Please check with your social service where exactly you have to go and what papers are needed.

The Vaterschaft can help you for being transferred to the place where your child lives. For more information about transfers, see our article here.